Tuesday, February 23, 2016

My face-up tools: Removal

My Face-up Tools blog post series.

I have had a lot of questions about what tools I use when I do a face-up.
So I thought it would be interesting for all of you do show you just exactly what I use.
What Pastels I use, what brushed I use, which sealants and all the other stuff I use.
Thus, I decided I'd do a little series of blog posts to tell you all about the all the lovely items that help me do my magic.

Removal


When you want to do a face-up on a doll the very first step you do is making sure your head is all squeaky clean. before you go and put on the first layer of Sealant.
And as that is the first step in your journey to a new face-up I thought I'd start this series of post off right there as well.
Sound logical right? hihi.

Nail polish Remover

I use Nail polish remover to wipe off the doll's head. I find it takes quick care of any old face-up or any dirt and grime left on the head. No matter if a doll still has an old face up or not, I always give it a scrub. That way I am sure there is no residue of any sorts on the head, which makes for a good seal when you spray on your sealant.
If you too want to use Nail polish remover to clean your heads, make sure you have acetone free nail polish remover. Acetone can damage the resin of your doll, and you never want that to happen.
The brand I use is a clear liquid and has no fancy girly color in it. I personally prefer using a clear substance. If you use a nail polish remover with a colored liquid there is a chance the color will stain your doll. Not all of the colored removers will do this, but there are plenty of them out there who do. You don't want a doll with blue, purple and pink stains on it's head, right? I have seen what those colors can do to your doll, and I never wish to have that happen to my dolls, let alone those of my customers.
So clear liquid it is for me!
An on top of all that, this stuff is cheap! It's way cheaper that the colored removers, and I can get it at the store around the corner. What more could I want?! Right, nothing.



Magic Block & Make up pads

Now that I have my Nail polish remover at the ready to clean the dolls head I do need something to actually wipe the dolls head with.
And that is where the magic block / sponge and the make up pads come in handy.
I usually start with a make up pad, put some remover on it and start gently wiping the head. Normally the face-up will slowly start to rub off the head. If this is the case, you probably do not need any magic block. You can just keep wiping with out pad until your head is clean.
But sometimes you have a head that has been sealed so well that wiping with a pad just doesn't break up the sealant. That is when you need something  that is a little more abrasive, but not so much it will damage your doll.
And that is when that handy magic block suddenly seems very appealing.
I normally cut up the big pad in to a bunch of tiny pieces as those are easier to use on your doll.
Just put some nail polish remover and gently rub your dolls head just like you would when using the make up pad.
For both the magic block and the make-up pads I just use the cheapest ones I can get my hands on. They work just as good as those expensive ones when removing a dolls face-up.

Toothbrush

Wait what.... did I really just read toothbrush?
Yes you did!
Sometimes, you have those little nooks and crannies in your doll that you just can not reach with a make up pad or a piece of magic block.
That is when that toothbrush is going to be your best friend! Trust me, he is your best friend. I would never lie. I know my toothbrush is my best friend. hihi.
Little bit of advice, buy a new toothbrush and do not use the one you use for your teeth. You don't want that toothbrush anywhere near your mouth when you have dipped it in nail polish remover a dozen of times.
Just buy any cheap brush, but make sure you buy a soft one, not a hard or medium one. Soft is always better for your doll.
It's really easy in use. Just dunk the brush in the remover and start scrubbing! Child's play, I tell you!
You will find those nifty little brush hairs will remover all the dirt and crap from those annoying  hard to get to places.

So now you know all the things I use to get my doll's clean and ready for a face-up.
Neck time I will be talking about sealants, so keep an eye out and don't miss that next post!

P.s. All the above items also work perfectly if you ever want to just clean your doll's body if it got dirty 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for hopping by my blog.
I love comments!!!
And I read every single one of them and if possible will reply.